LENTILS WITH WILD RICE AND CRISPY ONIONS (KOSHARI-Middle Eastern Side)
For the tomato sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Rice
1 3/4 cups water
2/3 cup wild rice
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped, plus 1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
1 cup brown or French green lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
Fresh cilantro (fresh coriander) or flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves for garnish
To make the tomato sauce, in a nonaluminum saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer; don't let the garlic brown. Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt. When the mixture just begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the wild rice and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon and saute for 1 minute longer; don't let the garlic brown. Add the stock, lentils and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer until the lentils are tender but still firm, about 30 minutes.
While the rice and lentils are cooking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and saute until brown and crispy, about 30 minutes.
To serve, reheat the tomato sauce gently over medium heat. On a serving platter, spread the lentils in a layer; top with a layer of the rice. Pour the tomato sauce over the rice and top with the onion rings. Garnish with the cilantro.
From mayoclinic.com rss.
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Water
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1 pound Fresh Mushrooms
1 Red or Green Bell Pepper (sliced)
Combine and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Tastes really good if left overnight.
RED PEPPER RELISH
4 red bell peppers ( seeded & finely chopped )
1 small sweet onion ( seeded & finely chopped )
1 garlic clove ( minced )
1 tsp salt ( or to taste )
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
¾ cup cider vinegar
¾ c sugar ( or to taste )
1 tbsp cornstarch ( or arrowroot )
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer over medium - low heat, uncovered.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 1 hour ( until thickened ).
- Let cool and ENJOY !
VEGAN "CREAM CHEESE DRESSING"
1 Pkg (240g) Soft Tofu (silken)
2 Tbs Fresh Chives
2 Tbs Fresh Parsely
1 Tsp Dried Basil (or Dill)
1 Tbs Safflower Oil (or Olive, Canola,Sunflower Oil)
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Chopped Tomato (or Carrot)
Mix in Blender, will keep in fridge for @ 1 week
ps. Don't be afraid to substitute ingredients
HEALTHY GRAINS AS DINNER SIDES
Brown Rice (2 2/3 cups)
1 cup brown rice
1. Bring 3 cups of liquid to boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add brown rice to boiling liquid.
3. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
Bulgur (2 cups)
2/3 cup bulgur
1. Add bulgur to 1 1/2 cups of cold liquid in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring bulgur and liquid to boil.
3. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
Cornmeal (3 1/2 cups)
1 cup cornmeal
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cornmeal and 1 cup cold water.
2. Bring 2 3/4 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan.
3. Add cornmeal mixture to boiling water.
4. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Couscous (3 cups)
2/3 cup couscous
1. Bring 1 cup of liquid to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous.
3. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
Cracked Wheat (3 cups)
1 cup cracked wheat
1. Bring 2 cups liquid to a boil.
2. Add cracked wheat to boiling liquid.
3. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
Dried Beans (2 1/2 cups)
1 cup beans
1. Rinse beans thoroughly in cold water.
2. Soak beans overnight in 3 cups of water.
3. After soaking, simmer beans in a medium saucepan, partially covered,
for 2 hours.
4. Drain beans.
Kasha - Buckwheat(2 cups)
2/3 cups kasha
1. Add kasha to 1 1/2 cups of cold liquid in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring kasha and liquid to a boil.
3. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Millet (3 cups)
3/4 cups of millet
1. Bring 2 cups of liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add millet to boiling liquid.
3. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Pearl Barley (3 cups)
1 cup barley
1. Bring 3 cups of liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add barley to boiling liquid.
3. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Quinoa (3 cups)
1 cup quinoa
1. Rinse quinoa under cold water. Drain.
2. Bring quinoa and 2 cups liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Wheat Berries (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups soft wheat berries
1. Bring 4 cups of liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add wheat berries to boiling liquid.
3. Cover and simmer for 60 minutes.